Thursday, February 5, 2009

USA - The Story

I wanted to write this post right from the time I was on the flight to US. I wanted to record each and every thought that crossed my mind. I wanted to file each and every small detail which went into this complete new phase of my life.

Where to begin? Lemme begin from the point when I got this news that I can go to USA.

It was 31st Dec'08 when my PM asked me, or rather told me that there is a project requirement for USA and we need to send in the resumes. The presumption that nobody will refuse to the opportunity was taken by him. A presumption which is quite admissible. It's only when he looked at my face, he asked, for a formality, if there's any issue in your going then please let me know. He was facing a colleague and eyes were on me. His eyes were so fixed on my face that I realised, from his face, that my thoughts are quite visible and prominent. There were two of us apart from the manager, in the cubicle, and the manager was facing my colleague just for formality. He was more concentrating on my changing face expressions! :)

Then, I regained my consciousness and collected myself. On his question, I said quite timidly, and like a complete Indian, homely girl, "Sir, I'll have to ask my parents. I have never been abroad." Inside me I knew that they won't be any point of concern at all. The issues at hand are pretty different than stated.

I came back to my seat. Discussed the thing with close pals, family. Things went through and I sent in my resume. It was the release day for my current project so I was quite busy with the last minute finish ups. Then, all this came in suddenly. Then, the resume needed updates and brush up so that it doesn't have anything that I may not be able to answer in the interview. Ohh! All mess. Anyhow. I quickly managed it and sailed through.

The next day was New Year Day. Had a party at the year's eve at PG. Slept till late morning. The day ended in wishing new year to friends n family. I had plans to study and use the day but such plans go into the trash can, as usual, quit obviously.
On 2nd Jan, I went to office at around 10.00 ..10.30 AM. Had no project. The last one had ended just a day back. Has worked hard. I deserve a day's relaxation. No new project was yet assigned. The intvw happens usually after a month, that's wat everyone told me. So, I was planning to finish the Sherlock Holmes story that I was reading online. Was in full mood of relaxing. I opened my mailbox relaxedly. Dribbled through the en-numerous new year wish mails. But, What's DDDDAAATTTT in the middle. "Arvind Kumar"....Did I see some "schedule" written in the AutoPreview of the mail!!!????? No, that can't be...Ohhh!!! Yes .....it is.....!!!!!!! Phew! I was sweating already.
I quickly opened the mail and saw that it was indeed the schedule for the interview for the US Project. And, the date of the interview is no later than TODAY! The time is 10.30. Ohh Cooooool. Definitely, since we didn't know of this so this has to get extended. Chalo, ek din ka time to milega hi. .......Ohhhhh Noooooo! It's not 10.30 AM...it's 10.30 PM. Holy Shit!!! The time is also quite happenable. Now, the interview will happen at the stipulated time only. No change can be asked for. What Man! I didn't want the interview to be bad coz it was my first client interview and I was concerned wat an image it will portray in office, if I fail. This is a separate point completely, that I don't feel any better or special on clearing it, as an after thought. :-/
Anyhow, the interview was today, and I had to prepare for it whatever I can. I gathered myself and quickly started wiring my resources for all the data or material that I would be needing. By the time, I managed to feel that I had gathered the required information and I can start preparing, it was 12.50 already. Sehar was at my seat asking for lunch. There was no one to go with her, so I felt anyhow I need to take my lunch to keep my energy levels intact till 10.30 atleast. So, I went for lunch.
After lunch and till 10.00 PM, I did whatever preparation I could. By god's grace, or destiny, whatever you may call it, I had prepared one topic pretty well and had managed to surf through the rest. I had even prepared few pilot notes to help me in case I forget anything in the middle of the telecon. But, I don't know how it will sound, but my conscious woke up ten minutes before the call and I put all of it aside. I thought it better to go just with what I remember. I truly believe that it went good coz I did remove those kunjis aside. The intvw was all based on the one topic that I had prepared.
I asked my PG girls to stay silent for some time and reduce the volume of their movies for my sake, for half an hour. (It was a big favour, after all, it was a Friday Night). I took out a plain sheet of paper and sat down on my bed with pen in a hand and mobile phone in the other, waiting for the call.
Clock struck 10.30, then 10.31...10.32....it continued. I was tired already. I didn't realise and I had drawn something on the sheet already and my sheet was half wasted already! Even before the call had started. And then, the phone rang. Finally! The number was strange so I got it that it must be "the" call. But I was expecting a lady voice and the voice I heard was a male one. I enquired who's it! in a bold voice. The gentleman on the other side was bowled over then and there. He timidly said I am D....z.z.z.z. calling from Nethra. I hardly got the name. Just understood that it was the one. The intvw continued.
After almost 20 minutes or so, the intvw was over. In the past 20 minutes, I acted more as a psychiatric doctor, or a geriatrician who's visited more to talk, than to cure any problem. I heard more and said less. I think you must have guessed that the other person was talking more and I was saying less. He was somehow more keen in tellling what he knew than knowing what I knew! Good for me. You can narrate the whole Ramayana in Sanskrit to me over an interview. I won't as much as make a sound....as long as you get me through ;P
So, with this, my historical intvw ended and I was glad the person was happy. More so, I was happy too. So, this was an "AND" condition which got through. So, I was exhilarated. I called home and relieved my anxious parents who were waiting up just for my call to get over and for my call to come and say it went fine. After all, a family is a family. Called near and dear ones. SMSed the lil farther dear ones. And, relaxed. The day ended on a positive note.
The year looks promising.
Ohh Ya! Just for the record, FYI, I was told that a Dipti Mohapatra will be calling you and taking your interview. I was prepared for a lady. The name is of a man. I am working under him here. :)

16 comments:

Day Dreamer said...

Wow ..Thanks for sharing ....

Maverick said...

heheh :)...nice read

Hope said...

Hey Day Dreamer!! Was that a COMMENT!!? I hope not! You better not :P

Day Dreamer said...

Are are ..that comment meant it was really lovely to read, know about your experience , the way you have captured the anxiety, surprise, anticipation , happiness in words was quite good...So to sum up all these I wrote "Thanks for sharing" :)

Hope said...

Okies!! Chalo, Maharaani Sahiba ne aapko muaaf kiya! :P :D

Anonymous said...

Quote from your blog:
"Called near and dear ones. SMSed the lil farther dear ones. And, relaxed. The day ended on a positive note.
The year looks promising."

As far as I remember,, you didnt called me neither u messaged me ... instead it was me who was wishing you all the luck... but you didn't....

Ok, I got it ...

Hope said...

Hey Mr./Miss Anonymous, if you tell me who you are, I maybe able to explain myself :P :)

Anonymous said...

You don't know me? i thought we know each other very well.... u can't forget me so easily.... :)

Hope said...

Of Course!!! How can I forget you. You're the one closest to me!!
I didn't call or msg coz the nearest ones always get d message thru telepathy. So, thr was no need, sweety! isn't it?

Anonymous said...

You still don't know who am I ? :) poor memory...

Hope said...

u want me to know or not?
if you do, then tell me.
if not, then let it be. :)

Anonymous said...

Attitute?? Wow... IT's always your constant companion....

Let me give you a hint:
So near yet so far,
Speaks with silance,
Never value each other,
but yet missing the same.

Hope said...

Ok Reema! Let's end the game! Bahut hua. :)
I dont have many good poets around me. And there are not many people whom I say "Missin u"
:)
:D

Anonymous said...

Another bolt... :( very bad.... I am not Reema.. Sorry your guess was wrong.
I think I am noone to you..

Hope said...

Ok, I give up.
Now ,tell me.
warna main ni khel rahi.

Anonymous said...

this is not fair..... u can't be master and slave together.... so this time u need to play to know me